Oy, busy occasions, these posts are shifting slowly. However nonetheless! It’s very a lot excessive time to vote on our Girls’s winners for 2023! Let’s get to the primary occasion, our Rider of the Yr.
The candidates are… who you’ll have anticipated.
- Lotte Kopecky: Only a huge step ahead for the Belgian star, who might have been second within the rankings, however the high quality of her victories is totally compelling: Ronde van Vlaanderen, the Thüringen total with phases, each Belgian RR and TT titles, a stage and second total on the Tour de France, the highway race World Championship… what a magical run for the 28-year-old whose earlier greatest season was sixth, earlier than she bumped her factors by some 60% and landed second total.
- Demi Vollering: Hmm, she completed second in de Ronde and the Vuelta, and… that’s about it. Vollering opened her account at Strade Bianche with a win, then Dwars, then she received the Ardennes Triple Crown (Amstel-Flèche-Liège), then a number of close to misses (or presents to teammates), then the Tourmalet stage and total Tour de France victory. And the Dutch championships, and Romandie, and others. About the one races she misplaced to a non-teammate can be the Vuelta, the place Annemiek van Vleuten received however Vollering took the Lagos de Covadonga stage, and the highway worlds, the place her commerce teammate scored the win. No person spent much less time feeling disenchanted this yr.
- Annemiek van Vleuten: The 40-year-old Dutch Superduperstar glided gently into retirement with a season that nearly anybody else would kill for: a Vuelta-Giro Donne Double, along with her Giro win being basically wire-to-wire (following stage 1 being neutralized by dangerous climate). She additionally received the Scandinavia Tour and three Giro phases, plus a gradual stream of high finishes behind somebody from SD Worx. She’s going to exit on high, as arguably the most effective ever, a minimum of amongst retirees.
- Lorena Wiebes: One other main brick within the SD Worx wall, Wiebes used her quick end to win phases in nearly each race she entered (Burgos, UAE Tour, Thüringen, Giro Donne, Tour de France, Scandinavia Tour), plus a number of classics like Ronde van Drenthe. At 24, Wiebes goes to win much more races.
- Shirin van Anrooij: Admittedly on a distinct degree from the galacticos right here, however I’ll attempt to boost the competitors a bit nonetheless. Van Anrooij falls within the class of younger supertalents leveling up and reaching main wins, her signature this yr within the Trofeo Alfredo Binda. Additionally received the Tour de l’Avenir, and was second in Burgos. She was tremendous aggressive within the classics, third in Amstel, eighth in Flanders. Second within the Euros U23 race… and naturally your reigning U23 World Champion in cyclocross.
- Marlen Reusser: The Swiss crono and highway star smashed all of her earlier bests this yr, shifting as much as fourth on the planet total (PdC; fifth in different rankings) in her third World Tour season, at age 31 — she didn’t even take up the game till college. Nonetheless proud SDWorx could also be of her, she received’t be carrying group colours a lot, since she’s the Swiss champ on the highway and the Euro champ within the ITT. Her main wins had been her house tour, Gent-Wevelgem, the concluding time trial stage of the Tour de France, and the general title on the Itzulia Girls’s Tour. Not less than one supply says her nickname is the Flying Elephant. That needs to be price some votes.
- Pfeiffer Georgi: Yet another speedy riser, the British Champion scored 4 wins (together with her final journey, at Binche-Chimay-Binche) and moved as much as twelfth on the planet within the course of, setting herself up for a pleasant run in, properly, the remainder of her early 20s, and past.
OK, voting time!
Who was the Girls’s 2023 Rider of the Yr?
This ballot is closed
Annemiek van Vleuten
Shirin van Anrooij
46 votes whole