Candy and savory, at all times juicy, and cooked to caramelized perfection, this glazed Baked Ham would be the crowning jewel of your vacation dinner desk. It is going to impress your friends, however nobody will know the way simple it was to make!
Why You’ll Love This Baked Spiral Ham Recipe
- Spiral Ham: The Best Ham. I really like a spiral ham. It comes already cooked and already sliced, so your solely job is to glaze it and heat it up. This isn’t a Thanksgiving Turkey that requires you to interrupt out the carving knife! Baked ham is easy.
- Savory, Candy, and Succulent. Ham is can be one of the scrumptious meats—it’s deeply savory, juicy, and smoky, and the normal glaze (I exploit this simple Brown Sugar Ham Glaze) caramelizes on the surface so as to add depth and sweetness.
- Leftovers for Days. This baked ham recipe makes a lot, which implies you’ll in all probability have leftovers to make use of up—and in contrast to another kinds of leftovers ( you, unhappy wilted salad!), ham stays scrumptious even after a day or two within the fridge. Use it to make Ham Casserole, or simply add slices to sandwiches.
- A Vacation Favourite. Baked ham is a go-to for Easter, Christmas, and different holidays and large household gatherings as a result of it’s a assured crowd-pleaser that works effectively with so a lot of our favourite vacation facet dishes. (Ahem: Corn Casserole, Crockpot Inexperienced Bean Casserole.)
Spiral-Lower Baked Ham: A Primer
For those who’re an previous professional in relation to cooking ham, be at liberty to skip via this part. New to creating baked spiral ham? Learn on!
- Grocery store hams normally come totally cooked, though some additionally come partially cooked. Most are additionally cured and smoked, therefore their salty, smoky taste.
- Spiral ham goes one step additional—it’s additionally lower. The distinctive spiral lower implies that it nonetheless holds its form for that conventional presentation.
- That is handy as a result of: you don’t should carve the ham! Simply lower alongside the bone and the slices will fall off. It’s additionally nice as a result of spiral-cut ham is primed to soak up any glazes or marinades you add to it.
The draw back of spiral ham is that as a result of it’s pre-cooked and sliced, it’s susceptible to over-cooking and drying out. That’s why I don’t suggest it for Crockpot Ham. It’s a double-edged sword, buddies.
All you really want to do with a spiral ham is convey it to a protected temperature, however so long as you’re doing that, you would possibly as effectively add some taste within the course of.
I like to make use of a marinade and a glaze to double-up on the flavour and be sure that the ham stays tender and juicy.
Tips on how to Make Baked Ham
- Spiral Lower Ham. You should use a half ham in case you’re cooking for a smaller crowd. Have a bone-in ham that’s not spiral lower? You may nonetheless cook dinner this recipe, simply add to the baking time.
- Dry White Wine. Akin to Pinot Grigio or Sauvignon blanc. That is to marinate the baked ham (my mother’s trick!).
- Glaze. I exploit my Simple Brown Sugar Ham Glaze, however you should use your glaze of alternative. Your spiral ham can also include a glaze packet; you should use that as a substitute of constructing your personal glaze however don’t use it in addition to do-it-yourself glaze.
- Marinate. Rating the ham if desired, then place it in a big bowl or zip-top bag with the wine. Marinate for at the very least 6 hours or as much as in a single day.
- Put together. Let the ham come to room temperature for an hour, then switch it to a roasting pan and canopy the ham with foil.
- Prepare dinner. Bake ham at 325 levels F for 12 minutes per pound, minus 20 minutes.
- Glaze. Twenty minutes earlier than the cooking time is finished, glaze the ham and bake at 425 levels F for 15 to twenty extra minutes.
- End. Switch the baked ham to a reducing board and let it relaxation for quarter-hour (you may make Ham Gravy with the juices whilst you wait), then serve. ENJOY!
- To Retailer. Retailer leftover baked ham wrapped in foil or plastic wrap or in an hermetic storage container within the fridge for 3 to five days.
- To Reheat. Reheat ham within the microwave, or place it in a baking dish with a couple of tablespoons of water, broth, or inventory; cowl and reheat in a 325 diploma F oven till the ham reaches an inside temperature of 165 levels F.
- To Freeze. You may freeze leftovers in an hermetic container or zip-top freezer bag for as much as 2 months. Thaw within the fridge, then reheat in line with the directions above.
What to Serve with Baked Ham
- Carving Board. Although we’re probably not carving the ham, it’s nonetheless a good suggestion to switch it to a carving board moderately than a reducing board so any extra juices don’t find yourself in your counter.
- Basting Brush. I like this one as a result of it’s silicone, which is way simpler to maintain clear.
- Roasting Pan. A should for making baked ham!
Recipe Ideas and Tips
- Tent, Then Un-Tent. By tenting the ham throughout a lot of the cooking time, you’re serving to hold that moisture from baking off so your baked ham is juicy and tender. However throughout the previous few minutes of cooking time, you need to uncover the ham so the glaze will get sticky and caramelized. For those who’d like, you’ll be able to even broil the ham for the final minute or two of the cooking time to get the highest crispy.
- Don’t Skip the Relaxation. Although spiral ham is pre-cut, you continue to want that relaxation to permit the juices to reincorporate.
- Use Bone-In Spiral Ham. Bone-in hams are extra flavorful than boneless. Plus, you’ll find yourself with a ham bone to make use of for making your Sluggish Cooker Ham and Bean Soup or Instantaneous Pot Break up Pea Soup additional scrumptious!
- Temperature Is Key. As with Crockpot Turkey Breast and Air Fryer Complete Hen, the timer offers you an thought of how lengthy it takes to bake ham, nevertheless it’s the temperature that may inform you exactly when it’s finished. Spiral ham ought to be cooked to 140 levels F, however you’ll be able to take away it from the oven at 135 levels F as a result of the temperature will proceed to rise whereas it rests.
- Know How A lot Ham to Make. Questioning how a lot ham to make per individual? A typical quantity for bone-in ham is 1/3 to 1/2 pound of ham per individual, though some sources suggest 3/4 pound per individual. For those who’re serving extra adults than children, you might need to go together with the larger quantity!
- 1 spiral lower ham 9 to 12 kilos or half ham (5 to 7 kilos)
- 1 (750-ml) bottle dry white wine comparable to Pinot Grigio or Sauvignon blanc
- 1 recipe Simple Brown Sugar Ham Glaze or glaze of alternative
Test the ham for a plastic elimination disk on the bone; if it has one, take away it now. Use a skinny, sharp knife to attain crosshatch cuts all around the prime and sides. Place the ham in a big bowl or ziptop bag. Add the wine and canopy the bowl or seal the bag. Let marinate for at the very least 6 hours or in a single day, flipping the ham a couple of occasions so it marinates evenly. (If you wish to reference the cooking occasions on the ham package deal, snap an image earlier than you toss it.)
When able to cook dinner, let the ham stand at room temperature for at the very least 1 hour. Preheat the oven to 325°F. Calculate how lengthy to bake the ham at 12 minutes per pound (or in line with package deal directions), then subtract 20 minutes and make an observation of the time (ex: a 10-pound ham at 12 minutes per pound is 120 minutes. Subtract 20 minutes and your time is 100 minutes—that’s 1 hour and 40 minutes).
Take away the ham from the marinade and discard the marinade. Place in a big roasting pan, flat-side down and canopy tightly with foil. Bake for the period of time you calculated within the step above. Whereas the ham bakes, put together the glaze.
Twenty minutes earlier than the ham is finished cooking, take away it from the oven. Enhance the oven’s temperature to 425°F. Uncover the ham and slather it throughout with the glaze. Return to the oven and bake for 15 to twenty minutes, till the glaze seems good and caramelized and the ham has reached 140°F on an on the spot learn thermometer. It is already cooked, so that you’re simply searching for it to be heated via—do not overcook or the ham will probably be dry; relying upon the form of your ham, you might want a little bit kind of time. (I usually take away the ham at 135°F as its temperature will rise because it rests). Take away to a reducing board. Let relaxation quarter-hour, then serve. Whereas the ham rests, use the juices to make Ham Gravy in case you like.
- Dietary data is calculated based mostly on a 10-pound ham.
- TO STORE: Retailer leftover baked ham wrapped in foil or plastic wrap or in an hermetic storage container within the fridge for 3 to five days.
- TO REHEAT: Reheat ham within the microwave, or place it in a baking dish with a couple of tablespoons of water, broth, or inventory; cowl and reheat in a 325 diploma F oven till the ham reaches an inside temperature of 165 levels F.
- TO FREEZE: You may freeze leftovers in an hermetic container or zip-top freezer bag for as much as 2 months. Thaw within the fridge, then reheat in line with the directions above.
Serving: 1(of 12)Energy: 620kcalCarbohydrates: 3gProtein: 71gFats: 29gSaturated Fats: 6gPolyunsaturated Fats: 3gMonounsaturated Fats: 11gLdl cholesterol: 276mgPotassium: 1109mgFiber: 0.02gSugar: 2gVitamin A: 0.1IUVitamin C: 88mgCalcium: 30mgIron: 3mg
Be part of immediately and begin saving your favourite recipes
Create an account to simply save your favourite recipes and entry FREE meal plans.